Friday, March 11, 2011

Chemical Peel Nightmare

So i got a chemical peel and it has turned out to be a complete disaster. This was supposed to be a "5 day peel". I had it done January 13th, 2011. I ended up missing 10 days from work. Keep scrolling to find out how things are going today.
This is right after i got it done. I was in so much pain. It really feels like chemicals are burning your face. 


The chemical absorbs into your skin. I took 2 xanex and 2 vicodin, so here i am sleeping soundly. I didnt wake up for almost 24 hours. 

Then i did wake up. The swelling had begun.

Yikes! this is day 2 i am very swollen and i started getting concerned that something wasnt right.

 This is how it looks once your skin starts the peeling process. This is the 3rd day of my "5 day peel"

This is day 4. I was really starting to realize something wasnt right. I had seen pictures of chemical peels online and the people did not look like this on day 4. 

Day 5. The real peeling has finally begun. But in a completely uneven manor. 

Here is what it looks like up close and personal
Day 6. Although hard to tell i have a rash all over my face. I went to the doc and expressed my concern with the fact we are now on day 6 of my "5 day peel" and some areas are extremely red compared to other areas. He kept insisting this was completely normal. 
This is January 23rd. Day 10 and i have to go back to work. This is now the 2nd time these areas have peeled.  I cannot even cover this up with make up. 



I had been trapped in the house for 10 days straight looking like this. It was a really hard emotional time. It was made worse by the fact that the doctor was not being honest with me about the fact that this was not normal. 


Sorry about the bad picture quality...
January 26th. Day 13 of  "5 day peel". I broke out really bad and it itched like crazy. 


day 17 with a TON of make up on. It felt good to get out of the house and do something normal. 



Well today is March 11, 2011. Almost 2 months later.

I still have pigmentation issues. The doc finally said "i realize this isnt what you wanted". Ummm thanks for realizing that. I am only 31 so i am not sure why he would go that deep with my peel. Maybe I had a bad reaction. But then maybe a patch test should be required. I am thinking it will be at least 6 months before this goes away.

Here i am today ( March 11th) with make up on. You can kind of see the redness by my eyebrows but pretty much you cant tell. 

I would never recommend a chemical peel to anyone. It is hard to express in a blog how it feels to be trapped in the house for 10 days straight while your skin looks like it will never recover. Maybe if i had not gone into it thinking it was no big deal i might have been more prepared. 


2 comments:

  1. Hey Alicia,
    My sister also had a chemical peel about 3wks ago that seemed to scab really bad, and the end result are many scars!! She as well had to take off from work for about 2wks. Are you at all considering filing a lawsuit against the person who performed this procedure? There seems to be permanent damage to her face as well as yours. She has chossen to see another dermatologist and present the Doctor who burned her face with the bill. Upon this we will be proceeding w/ legal action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandy,

    Please keep me updated on your sisters status. I have not considered seeking damages from the doctor since i am sure i signed a release prior to having the peel. However, i am planning on giving on posting a review on websites like realself.com and yelp to at least try to get the word out. I saw another doctor (the one who did my rhinoplasty, so no charge) and he said it will get better of the course of 1 year. I am glad it will get better but i am getting married in four months :(

    ReplyDelete